On the basis of his experiment on “scattering alpha-particles” he discovered the nucleus and put forward the nucleus model of an atom, which had the following features:
- Atom is positively charged at the center and called it as nucleus.
- All the mass of the atom resides in the nucleus.
- The electrons revolved around the nucleus as planets revolve around the sun.
- Most of the part of the atom is empty.
- Size of the nucleus is very small as compared to the size of the atom.
He later discovered that nucleus consists of a positively charged particle and named it as “proton”.He also predicted about the existence of a neutrally charged particle but failed to find them. Later one of his student named James Chadwick went on to discover neutron in 1932.